Tag Archives: Bruce

Tomorrow’s the Big Day

I’ve spoken with the vet and we’re all set for Lizzie’s breeding tomorrow morning.  After careful consideration, we’ve decided to go with a surgical artificial insemination with fresh semen.

Based upon Lizzie’s age and the fact that her dam had uterine cysts, we (the husband, the vet & I) thought our best chance for puppies would be via a surgical implant.  It will give the vet an opportunity to examine the uterus and fixed anything that can/needs to be fixed.  It will also deposit the sperm as close to the eggs as possible to increase the chance of fertilization.

This link provides some general  information on artificial insemination for dogs.

This link covers a wide range of canine reproductive information.  Its not laid out logically, but the information is good.

I want to address a myth regarding artificial insemination in dogs that I’ve heard:  “”There is a higher conception rate doing AI because of the medications given to the dog & the bitch.”  NO medications where given to either the stud or to Lizzie prior to breeding.  Nothing was done to increase the number of eggs dropped during ovulation and nothing was done to make the sperm into “super-sperm”.   Aside from the sperm delivery mechanism, everything is the same for a natural breeding.  If I were to do a natural breeding, I would still do progesterone testing to make sure that my bitch was being bred at the right time.

To add to the frenzy of activity in the house, Morganna has started spotting.   In order to give poor Bruce a break, we’ll take Morganna a long for the ride.  This way there will plenty of motivation for Broker. 😉    We’ll be leading out before 5:30 in the morning, so I’ll try to post when we get home.  In the mean time – think fertile thoughts for Lizzie.

Morganna and Bruce
We’d Better Rest Up
Lizzie and Tyler
Wake Me When Its Time To Go

First Test

It only took two phone calls to find a local vet who will do the progesterone testing.  I’m really excited because the office has five vets on staff and have done pregnancy “support”.  So, while not reproductive vets, they can do the testing and the ultrasound and x-rays.  As much as I love our reproductive vet, I’m glad not to have drive over an hour for simple tests. 🙂

So, the first blood draw was this evening and we should have results in the morning.

For those readers who have no idea what I’m talking about, here’s a quick summary:

The progesterone levels will tell us when Lizzie ovulates and the best time to breed.  Tonight’s test is just a baseline the first serious test will be on Saturday – the sixth day of her cycle.  Progesterone rises in a sharp spike, so we’ll test every couple of days until she hits 2.0, then every day until she goes above 5.0 to mark the day of ovulation.  She’ll be bred two days after she ovulates to give the best chance at conception.   This link has more information if you’re interested.

Bruce and Morganna Aren't Interested
Bruce and Morganna Aren’t Interested